When it comes to sales everyone goes crazy. People are buying things just because they are cheaper. And many of these pieces end up in the closet without even having the label removed.
When on sales, the best strategy you can go for is to buy like a pro. That means to acquire classic pieces that you can wear forever, that are timeless and that give you that classy look at workplace. Coco Chanel was the first designer who started creating pieces that are considered classic items for a wardrobe and mandatory for a stylish working woman.
Click on the right and left arrows to see the gallery:
Here are the 10 items you can safely buy to complete your workwear.
Make them statement clothes for unforgettable looks:
- Buy silk tops and blouses with no hesitation. They are great with almost anything: jeans, trousers, pencil skirts, full or pleated skirts. They dress up a look instantly. Choose the model that is right for your body shape and a flattering colour for your skin.
- White shirt is also an timeless item. You can wear it with almost anything from jeans to even red carpet looks (as Sharon Stone did it in 1998). If white if not very flattering on your skin, add a scarf that works with your complexion.
- Camel coat is one of my favorite. I am wearing it with anything: from training trousers and sneakers to elegant dresses. Check Rachel Zoe on the cover photo. She is the stylist of many Hollywood stars.
- Little Black Dress is also a Chanel classic. Choose the model that suits your style, body shape, personality and lifestyle. A LBD takes you from work to a night out by only changing accessories. Add high heels, statement jewelry like long earings or big necklace and a clutch and you are good to go to a dinner with a lover or a night out with friends.
- Cashmere sweater will take from autumn through winter to spring. It is a great piece that keeps you warm and comes in many shapes, from cardigans to sweaters. Choose the one that suits your body shape and your style.
- Biker jacket became a basic of a wardrobe in the last years. It is a great outwear clothing that can be worn with anything from jeans, to trousers and from skirts to dresses. It gives an edgy look that is modern, youngish and slightly rebellious on a very conservative outfit like a pencil skirt and a silk top.
- Long cardigan is a great item that can build both smart and casual outfits. You can wear it with skinny jeans and a great top, thus making skinnies appropriate for workplace. It is also great with short skirts, slip ons and opaque tights. A long cardigan can be a piece to keep at the office when you are cold. It is warmy, cosy, friendly, giving you a familiar “home like” feeling.
- The sailor stripe T-shirt or sweater was also made famous by Coco Channel. It looks great tucked in a full skirt. Try bold combination as navy is a neutral colour and you can insert some vivid hues in your looks. Yellow, orange or red go great with navy, but also purple or fuchsia.
- Denim shirt might not be a classic like the above pieces. Yet, it is a great item to make that smart casual look that seems to have been adopted in all workplaces. The truth is that it gives a modern and cool appearance, that gets a classic outfit out of the crowd. Combine it with tailored suit trousers, pencil or full skirts and you are good to go.
- Leopard print is an add on that I can’t restrain myself from including on a classic shopping list on sales. It looks great in any combination with neutrals like beige, black, brown but also with a touch of red. And this a print that NVER goes out of fashion.
If you are wondering where from you can buy these pieces, just go to the shop you can afford. You’d find them at H&M, Zara, Masimo Dutti, Topshop, Mango even C&A. Or, you can go to more expensive brands, but still accessible like Stefanel, Max&Co or Tommy Hilfiger. The luxury brands are a bit out of reach for a middle class person, but if you are really hunting the sales, especially at the end of the season you’d find great pieces with 80% discount at Donna Karan, Ralph Lauren and others. This is indeed big time luck but you can try your chance.
Just remember: do not drain your card or wallet just because there are some pieces that are cheaper than usual. Shop smart and you will not regret.